- Safe working load of 1.5 tonnes
- Lightweight – approx 50kg
- Quick to fit needing little space
- Minimal storage space required
- Easily transported in a small van or car
- Load clamping that make it stable and secure
What is a SLAPP Clamp?
Introducing the SLAPP from Massolutions – a division of Beresford’s Flooring Ltd.
SLAPP is lightweight and easy to manhandle.
Place the tines under the load.
Place/lower the SLAPP Clamp on top of the load.
Shorten the chains as tight as possible from the tine hook to the shortening clasp.
Use the coloured links to set the same length on all four chains.
As the load is lifted, the clamp presses down on the load making it more stable and secure.
Place a net on the load.
SLAPP can be used on many products.
SLAPP is also ideal for lifting tall loads.
During the installation of pre-cast concrete products, Beresford’s Flooring Ltd experienced the daily problem of ensuring product stability when lifting pallets of slip bricks from delivery vehicles using site craneage.
Many sites do not have pallet forks available, resulting in compromised standards of load stability and risks to the health and safety of site personnel.
Standard brick forks are large and heavy, making them awkward in use and difficult to manhandle. Pre-cast concrete erectors generally travel to site in vans loaded to capacity with personnel and equipment. This prohibits the ability to carry brick forks as a standard item of equipment.
Beresford’s spent several months looking for alternative apparatus. The main criterion in this search was to ensure the equipment was small/lightweight and capable of lifting 1 tonne. This would enable transportation to site with the erection team and ease manhandling on site and in/out of the fixing van.
Beresford’s Flooring Ltd was disappointed to discover there was nothing available. Chris Massey (Beresford’s Flooring Ltd MD) decided to use the company’s thirty years of lifting experience to develop a new lifting device to suit its needs. After 18 months and the evolution of many prototypes, the SLAPP Clamp was born.
The SLAPP Clamp started life as just a steel box section “H lifting beam” with a chain attached to the end of each of the four legs.
This worked well until the pallet being lifted was either badly or unevenly stacked, making the load unstable. After many trials and design amendments, the self clamping mechanism was developed. Still using the original “H lifting beam” with the chains on each leg, a separate “U” section was introduced, with chain shorteners permanently attached via sprung blocks on the newly introduced inner section.
The process of lifting the load is simple
- Slide the lightweight tines through the pallet and lower/lift the SLAPP Clamp on top of the load.
- Connect the four chain hooks to the tines and shorten the chains as tight as possible using the adjuster clutch. The chains should be equal in length and this has been made easier by colour coding the chain links.
- The load can now be lifted and because the weight is being transferred through the clutch, the “U” Section is pulled down on top of the load. This securely clamps the item being lifted, compressing the materials into position.
Key Features of the SLAPP Clamp
- Safe working load of 15 tonnes.
- The “H” Section is 1200mm long, so can accommmodate all “Euro” and “Standard” pallets.
- Additional hook attachments on tines to suit “Euro” and “Standard” pallets serrated tines to ease insertion through wrapped pallets.
- The chains can be adjusted to suit all depths to a maximum of 1100mm.
- Colour coded chain links to ensure equal leg length.
- Securely clamps down on the item being lifted, ensuring load stability.
- The amount of compression transferred through the “U” Section onto the top of the load can be adjusted by moving the shortening clutch along the “U” arm.
- Hooks have been provided into the sides of the “H” Section to accommodate a safety net.
- When not in use, the inner “U” Section springs back inside the outer “H” Section making the whole clamp only 6″ wide ensuring ease of storage.
- Four carry handles provided into the top of the clamp to ease manhandling.
- Compact lightweight design ensures ease of transportation/storage.
- Reduced overall lift weight increases safety factor for any given radius.